- Upon approval, process and issue pistol license to applicant as well as distribute application to appropriate agencies.
** NOTE **
The New York State Police Pistol Permit Bureau will only accept PPB-3 applications printed on two sides. The Bureau will no longer accept two separate pages. When printing applications from websites be mindful to choose two sided printing
Other duties include processing license holders' amendments, acquisitions, disposals, address changes, duplicates and transfers, maintain pistol license files, process pistol license suspensions and revocations, conduct criminal investigation of pistol licensees when warranted, and conduct deceased pistol licensee investigations.
Application and Fees*:
Pistol License Application Process:
You may obtain a new pistol license application at the Seneca County Sheriff's Office located at 6150 State Route 96, Romulus, New York 14541, OR by downloading and printing the forms by clicking on this link.
You must meet the following qualifications:
- Must submit four character references using the Character Reference Form; dated within six months of your submitted application. Forms with notarization dates older than six months will be rejected.
When all application paperwork has been completed, you must call the Pistol Permit Clerk at 315-220-3430 to schedule an in person appointment to submit your application. Upon receiving an appointment you MUST bring all appropriate paperwork to the Seneca County Sheriff’s Office, Records Division, 6150 State Route 96, Romulus, New York 14541 to review and process your application. Once your completed application has been reviewed and has been approved, your fingerprints and photograph will be taken.
Please bring the following to your appointment:
- Photo ID required
Pistol License Fees:
|New Application S.C.S.O. Processing||$ 10.00|
|New Application N.Y.S.D.C.J.S. / F.B.I. Processing of fingerprints||$ 94.25|
|Duplicate Pistol License (must appear in person)||$ 5.00|
|Transfer Into/Out of Seneca County||$ 5.00|
|Dealer License||$ 94.25|
|Gunsmith License||$ 94.25|
|Dealer/Gunsmith License||$ 94.25|
|S.C.S.O. Processing Fee (Dealer/Gunsmith License)||$10.00|
|Transition from paper permit to plastic card permit||$5.00|
* Fees are subject to change.
Pistol License Holder's Information
Rules & Regulations for Seneca County Pistol License Holders:
- All pistol license transactions must be completed in the Records Division at the Seneca County Sheriff's Office between 8:30 am and 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday. ALL New Pistol Permit Applications require that an appointment be made in advance and occur between 8:30 am and 2:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
If there is an amendment to the pistol license (a weapon is being added- $3.00 fee), you must do the following:
NOTICE: A weapon will not be added onto the pistol license unless you have the necessary paperwork. There are NO exceptions to the rule.
Procedure for Proper Disposal of Handguns Belonging to Deceased NEW YORK State Pistol License Holder:
In accordance with Sections 400.05 and 265.20 of the New York State Penal Law, Executors, Administrators, or any other person(s) who have lawful possession of property, specifically handgun(s) that belonged to a New York State Pistol License holder who has died, must dispose of the handgun(s) within fifteen (15) days of the death of the pistol license holder.
The handgun(s) can be disposed of to a licensed firearms dealer or to another pistol license holder. Because there are specific procedures that must be followed in these types of disposal, please contact the Pistol Permit Clerk at (315) 220-3430, Monday through Friday, between 8:30 am and 3:30 pm.
If the handgun(s) are not disposed of within the fifteen day period, the handgun(s) must be turned into a law enforcement agency, who will hold the handgun(s) for safekeeping until proper disposal can be arranged or authorization is given for destruction. The handgun(s) can only be held for a period of one year, at which time they are declared a nuisance and destroyed in accordance with New York State Penal Law.
NYS Firearms License Request for Public Records Exemption
If you do not have access to the internet or a printer, a hard copy of the form may be obtained from the following locations:
- New York State Police, Waterloo Barracks, 8153 Waterloo-Geneva Road, (Route 5&20), Waterloo, New York 13165
Completed forms must be returned with an original inked signature to the
Seneca County Sheriff's Office by one of the following methods:
- By drop off to the Seneca County Sheriff's Office, County Office Building Security Desk, located at the Seneca County Office Building, 1 DiPronio Drive, Waterloo, New York 13165 (Monday through Friday, except Legal Holidays, between 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM)